The Santa Cruz Children’s Museum of Discovery is dedicated to providing an extraordinary, interactive learning environment where everyone explores the wonders of Santa Cruz County.
The Santa Cruz Children’s Museum of Discovery delights, inspires and challenges visitors by providing an exciting and interactive learning environment where children can explore the wonders of Santa Cruz County.
Our museum is a popular destination for local youth, their parents and teachers in the Monterey Bay area. The museum is also a renowned attraction for area visitors.
We use cutting edge educational methodologies to maximize learning opportunities for children, and we incorporate feedback from our constituents so that we may continually evolve and respond to new ideas.
Our permanency is guaranteed by strong community support and sound ﬁnancial planning through grants and donations, events and programs, combined with high volumes of visitors through our doors.
We measure our success by the number of visitors we impact every year, by the awards and other forms of recognition we get among children’s museums, and by the pride that the community has in that which we bring to the children of Santa Cruz County.
More about the MOD:
The SCCMOD team works to serve our community better each and every day. At the MOD we:
Provide Exceptional Programming and Learning Opportunities
- Provide hands-on manipulative experiences geared to a variety of interest levels and learning styles
- Showcase special exhibits on a rotating basis
- Utilize state-of-the-art learning theories and research to provide high quality exhibits
- Feature exhibits that incorporate tiered learning to engage and involve children and those who accompany them
Are a Positive Physical Presence and a Community Resource
- Be a year-round bricks and mortar facility of permanent exhibits that is environmentally sustainable.
- Be an esthetically pleasing and engaging environment
- Include a mobile museum unit that will take exhibits out into the community to schools, childcare centers and daycare facilities
- Provide opportunities for school and daycare groups to visit the museum for special presentations
- Include community event space as well as professional development and seminar space
Fully Utilize the Unique Contributions of the Santa Cruz Community
- Seek community input in order to define and meet the needs of the greater Santa Cruz County Community.
- Seek exhibit underwriting from local businesses, community organizations and community members
- Partner with local museums, fraternal organizations and other entities that share a similar mission
- Work with volunteers from local high schools, Cabrillo College and UCSC and the community at large, with the goal of providing a high quality volunteer training program
- Provide exhibit information in Spanish as well as English
- Present exhibits that are culturally relevant
- Provide museum event opportunities and create outreach to underserved populations in Santa Cruz County
Have a Diverse and Sustainable Funding Stream
- Be funded through admissions, museum memberships, private donations, foundation grants and available public funds
- Include a for-profit enterprise in the way of a gift shop